I thought I would send our April 2016 Animation Company Update a little earlier this month. As some of you might know my wife and I have a little baby girl due May 1st, so incase she decides to come early I’m trying to clear my schedule towards the end of the month as much as possible. I have also had a ton going on with the company, so there is plenty to update all of you on.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Another busy week at Eric Miller Animation Studios. If you have been following our other social media accounts you might have noticed our new title logo for Bink. It was designed by the very talented Rachel Wan who also did the original concept art for Bink(both images below). I was very excited to get to work with Rachel, and once again very happy with her beautiful work.
I would like to get in a habit of doing an internal review of how my company did at the end of each year. It will be my opportunity to see what I have been able to accomplish in the last year, or not accomplish. Things can get pretty busy while running the day to day of a business, and it is easy to loose track of where you are, and where you are going. By looking at where you have gone in a year’s time you can get a better idea of how things are progressing, and see if you are heading in the right direction.
You may have noticed the beautiful artwork at the top of this page. If you remember from my previous post by the name “Logo“, I talked about how I designed my company’s logo, but eventually was going to get someone more talented to redesign it. Well, I was fortunate enough to get my extremely talented friend Jason Scheier to do the redesign as well as do this beautiful concept art. In the above mentioned post I talked about having a reoccurring vision, and that was where my logo came from. I never had the talent to bring it to paper, but I believe Jason did an amazing job at it.
The end of last week was really busy, and I did not have a chance to write my blog post until now. I was on set for the commercials I’m post supervising on, so that took up a lot of my time on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It was a great experience to see how everything worked on the live action side, and I was surprised at the number of people on the crew. You would think I would’t be surprised coming from the animation world where there are around 300 to 400 people on a crew, but I guess I thought it be a smaller crew since it’s a commercial and not a movie. I was trying to remember back to my film classes in college to remember what all the different positions on a film crew did, but things have changed since then. For example the focus puller did not stand next to the camera to adjust the focus. Instead he had a monitor that he watched with a handheld device that remotely adjusted the focus. Many of the positions were the same, but they never introduced me to who was doing what, so it was all a guessing game to figure out who was doing what. I tried to meet as many of the crew that I could, and find out what roll they played on set. It was a very good crew, and a great group of people that I would love to get to work with again. The footage turned out great, and I can’t wait to see what it looks like after all the effects and SFX are added. This week my focus is on trying to make sure we hit all the deadlines for the After Effects work we are doing on the commercials. It is a very quick turnaround, but as long as we don’t get a lot of notes we should be able to hit our dates. We are working on a few clips each week, and this will go on for the next few weeks until we finish all of them.